|Local forecast by
"City, St" or zip code
New England Hurricane Statistics
- 49 Tropical Cyclones have impacted the region since 1900 -
25 Hurricanes and 18 Tropical Storms
- 15 Tropical Cyclones caused inland River/Stream Flooding!
- 1938 Hurricane - Severe Flooding from 13 to 17 inches of rain
in central Connecticut & western Massachusetts.
- Tropical Storms Connie and Diane, August 1955 - Devastated
central and western Massachusetts with 5 day rainfall totals
of over 25 inches! Westfield, MA received 13.15 inches in 1
- 9 Hurricanes made landfall on the coast!
- Four were Cat 3 intensity!
- Storm surges ranged from 8 to 12 feet along the south coast,
to 15 to 25 feet in portions of Narragansett and Buzzards
- Strongest winds:
- Sustained 5-minute wind of 121 mph with a gust to 186 mph - Blue
Hill Observatory - Milton, MA
- Wind gust of 135 mph in Carol 1954 and Donna, 1960 on Block
- Sustained wind of 90 mph gust with a gust to 105 mph - Providence,
RI in Hurricane Carol - 1954
Southern New England lies in the unenviable position of receiving all three
"Hurricane Threats" depending upon the track/landfall location:
- Coastal Inundation due to the Storm Surge
- Widespread inland River Flooding
- Widespread wind damage far inland