|Local forecast by|
"City, ST" or zip code
|Tussey Mountain Wildfire, May 1st, 2006|
A wildfire on Tussey Mountain in the Rothrock State Forest Lands (South-Central Centre County, PA) near Treaster Kettle Road on May 1st was highly visible from the town of State College, and from our window at the office. The KCCX 88D Radar, which was running in clear-air mode at the time, also had a good shot at the smoke plume and debris that it carried along.
Check out the images below, and see what the KCCX 88D could sense of the fire (the smoke plume, really), and see the visible Satellite shots from GOES East during the same time. Note the smoke drifts right along with the winds (Southeasterly, or TO the Northwest) indicated on the VAD Wind Profile from the 88D.
Reflectivity, Visible Satellite, and VAD Wind Profile of the Smoke Plume
Same panels as above only brightness-enhanced
Pictures of the Fire/Smoke Plume from our office
pictures courtesy of Peter Jung, Bill Gartner, and Rob Radzanowski
Picture of the fire from 330 Innovation Blvd.
Picture of the smoke plume with start of Pyro-Cumulus cloud (cumulus started because of the rising hot gases from the fire) at the top of the plume.
2006 Weather Events/Features:
- Mini Severe Weather Event (Bow Echoes), March 13th.
- Hail Storms of April 3rd
- May 1st, 2006 - Tussey Mountain Wildfire
- May 30th, 2006 - Severe Pulse Thunderstorms
- May 31st, 2006 - Severe Pulse Thunderstorms, take #2
- June 1st, 2006 - Flash Flooding in York County
- June 2nd, 2006 - More Flash Flooding and Severe Weather in York County
- June 9th, 2006 - Severe Thunderstorms - Hail and Wind
- June 22nd, 2006 - Widespread Severe Thunderstorms
- Flooding of Late June 2006 - Widespread Flooding
- July 9th, 2006 - More Severe Pulse Thunderstorms
- July 10th, 2006 - Anti-Cyclonic Mesocyclone over Elk County
- July 18th, 2006 - Hail and Wind Producing Storms
- July 27th, 2006 - Hail and Wind Producing Storms
- August 25-26th, 2006 - Long-Lived Supercells
- September 1-2, 2006 - Rain from the remnants of TS Ernesto
- September 28th, 2006 - Severe Thunderstorms, including F1 Tornado in Cumberland County
- November 16th, 2006 - Severe Thunderstorms
- December 1st, 2006 - Severe Thunderstorms, including F1 Tornado in Dauphin County
Local Climate, Water & Weather Topics:
Forecasts, Current Hazards, Current Conditions, Water Resources, Radar, Satellite, Climate,
Weather Safety, Wireless/PDAs, Feature Articles,