|Local forecast by|
"City, ST" or zip code
|Severe Thunderstorms of June 22nd, 2006|
June 22nd was a highly unstable day, and became the busiest and most widespread severe weather day of the year so far.
A thunderstorm wind gust/squall estimated at 60 mph occurred at the NWS Office in State College. This squall lasted almost 2 minutes, and was accompanied by pea size hail at the office. Numerous large hail reports also came in from many locations in and around the rest of State College.
Many trees were downed, as the storms were mainly bow echoes, with occasional rotation present. Numerous reports of large hail also came in from across Central PA.
See Preliminary Damage Reports in Text format
Balloon Sounding from KLWX (Washington DC). See the Positive Area (a.k.a. "B+" or "CAPE") is almost 2800 J/kg! That is Highly Unstable.
Regional Radar Mosaic from 21z 6/22/06 (5pm EDT 6/22).
Regional Radar Mosaic from 00z 6/23/06 (8pm EDT 6/22).
Regional Radar Mosaic from 02z 6/23/06 (10pm EDT 6/22).
2006 Weather Events/Features:
- Mini Severe Weather Event (Bow Echoes), March 13th.
- Hail Storms of April 3rd
- May 1st, 2006 - Tussey Mountain Wildfire
- May 30th, 2006 - Severe Pulse Thunderstorms
- May 31st, 2006 - Severe Pulse Thunderstorms, take #2
- June 1st, 2006 - Flash Flooding in York County
- June 2nd, 2006 - More Flash Flooding and Severe Weather in York County
- June 9th, 2006 - Severe Thunderstorms - Hail and Wind
- June 22nd, 2006 - Widespread Severe Thunderstorms
- Flooding of Late June 2006 - Widespread Flooding
- July 9th, 2006 - More Severe Pulse Thunderstorms
- July 10th, 2006 - Anti-Cyclonic Mesocyclone over Elk County
- July 18th, 2006 - Hail and Wind Producing Storms
- July 27th, 2006 - Hail and Wind Producing Storms
- August 25-26th, 2006 - Long-Lived Supercells
- September 1-2, 2006 - Rain from the remnants of TS Ernesto
- September 28th, 2006 - Severe Thunderstorms, including F1 Tornado in Cumberland County
- November 16th, 2006 - Severe Thunderstorms
- December 1st, 2006 - Severe Thunderstorms, including F1 Tornado in Dauphin County
Local Climate, Water & Weather Topics:
Forecasts, Current Hazards, Current Conditions, Water Resources, Radar, Satellite, Climate,
Weather Safety, Wireless/PDAs, Feature Articles,