|Local forecast by|
"City, ST" or zip code
|Pulse Severe Thunderstorms of July 9th, 2006|
July 9th turned out to be a very busy day (as was June 9th) - with early reports totalling over 30 severe events (and many sub-severe hail reports) occurring from early afternoon through early evening.
The Storms fired up on the ridges of west-central PA, as the heating of the day and the cold pool aloft from an upper low combined to create great instability. See the KLWX (Washington DC) 18z sounding for the details on the environment just to our south. We must have been even more unstable, since hardly any convection fired south of the Mason-Dixon Line that day.
The weak wind profile (also seen on the LWX sounding) contributed to the slow movement of many of the cells, and kept wind damage from being a primary threat. The main threat was hail - and large hail at that (0.88 to 1.00 inch hail was common).
Preliminary Damage Reports in Text format
Graphical Plot of Reports from the Storm Prediction Center
Click to see a full-size version of the images below...
Sterling, VA Sounding from 18z 7/9/06
Storm over Juniata County dropping large inch hail
Storm over Williamsport dropping large hail
Multiple Severe Thunderstorms near Harrisburg, Lebanon, and Lancaster
Visible satellite image and lightning plot of storms over Centre,
Huntingdon, Mifflin and Juniata counties around 3:45 pm.
2006 Weather Events/Features:
- Mini Severe Weather Event (Bow Echoes), March 13th.
- Hail Storms of April 3rd
- May 1st, 2006 - Tussey Mountain Wildfire
- May 30th, 2006 - Severe Pulse Thunderstorms
- May 31st, 2006 - Severe Pulse Thunderstorms, take #2
- June 1st, 2006 - Flash Flooding in York County
- June 2nd, 2006 - More Flash Flooding and Severe Weather in York County
- June 9th, 2006 - Severe Thunderstorms - Hail and Wind
- June 22nd, 2006 - Widespread Severe Thunderstorms
- Flooding of Late June 2006 - Widespread Flooding
- July 9th, 2006 - More Severe Pulse Thunderstorms
- July 10th, 2006 - Anti-Cyclonic Mesocyclone over Elk County
- July 18th, 2006 - Hail and Wind Producing Storms
- July 27th, 2006 - Hail and Wind Producing Storms
- August 25-26th, 2006 - Long-Lived Supercells
- September 1-2, 2006 - Rain from the remnants of TS Ernesto
- September 28th, 2006 - Severe Thunderstorms, including F1 Tornado in Cumberland County
- November 16th, 2006 - Severe Thunderstorms
- December 1st, 2006 - Severe Thunderstorms, including F1 Tornado in Dauphin County
Local Climate, Water & Weather Topics:
Forecasts, Current Hazards, Current Conditions, Water Resources, Radar, Satellite, Climate,
Weather Safety, Wireless/PDAs, Feature Articles,