|Local forecast by|
"City, ST" or zip code
|Severe Weather of 7 August 2007
EF1 Tornado in Eastern Centre County
A weak tornado occurred during the late evening of August 7th, 2007 over far Eastern Centre County, east of Woodward. Initial
reports from that remote area described numerous trees down across Route 45 near the Centre/Union County line. A subsequent investigation
and survey by the NWS Office in State College determined that the damage was caused by a weak (EF1) tornado. A Tornado Warning was in effect for the affected area from 10:05 PM EDT through 10:30 PM EDT.
Damage Survey Results and Preliminary Reports
NOUS41 KCTP 082129
PUBLIC INFORMATION STATEMENT
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE STATE COLLEGE PA
529 PM EDT WED AUG 8 2007
...FINAL DAMAGE SURVEY RESULTS FOR CENTRE COUNTY...
...AN EF1 TORNADO OCCURRED NEAR WOODWARD LATE TUESDAY EVENING IN
EASTERN CENTRE COUNTY...
THE FOLLOWING IS A FINAL ASSESSMENT FOR THE DAMAGE THAT OCCURRED
OVER EASTERN CENTRE COUNTY ON AUGUST 7, 2007.
* EVENT DATE: AUGUST 7, 2007
* ESTIMATED START TIME: 1025 PM
* ESTIMATED END TIME: 1030 PM
* EVENT TYPE: EF1 TORNADO
* EVENT LOCATION: FROM 2 MILES NORTHEAST OF WOODWARD TO 2 MILES
EAST SOUTHEAST OF WOODWARD.
* PEAK WIND: ESTIMATED AT 85-95 MPH.
* AVERAGE PATH WIDTH: UP TO 400 YARDS WIDE.
* PATH LENGTH: 1 1/2 MILES.
* INJURIES: NONE REPORTED.
* FATALITIES: NONE REPORTED.
* DISCUSSION/DAMAGE: THE TORNADO TOUCHED DOWN TWO MILES NORTHEAST
OF WOODWARD IN EASTERN CENTRE COUNTY, THEN CONTINUED ONE AND A
HALF MILES BEFORE LIFTING UP TWO MILES EAST SOUTHEAST OF
WOODWARD ON TOP OF THICK MOUNTAIN RIDGE. TWO HOMES AND ONE
CABIN SUSTAINED MINOR DAMAGE FROM THE STORM. OVER 100 TREES WERE
EITHER UPROOTED OR TOPPLED AND ABOUT ANOTHER 100 TREES WERE
EYEWITNESSES REPORTED HEARING A LOUD NOISE AS THE STORM PASSED BY.
ONE EYEWITNESS REPORTED HEARING THE TORNADO WARNING ISSUED BY
THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE ON TELEVISION, THEN TOOK SHELTER JUST
AS THE STORM STRUCK.
FOR REFERENCE...THE ENHANCED FUJITA SCALE CLASSIFIES TORNADOES INTO
THE FOLLOWING CATEGORIES:
EF0...WIND SPEEDS 65 TO 85 MPH.
EF1...WIND SPEEDS 86 TO 110 MPH.
EF2...WIND SPEEDS 111 TO 135 MPH.
EF3...WIND SPEEDS 136 TO 165 MPH.
EF4...WIND SPEEDS 166 TO 200 MPH.
EF5...WIND SPEEDS GREATER THAN 200 MPH.
NWUS51 KCTP 081928
PRELIMINARY LOCAL STORM REPORT...CORRECTED
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE STATE COLLEGE PA
328 PM EDT WED AUG 08 2007
..TIME... ...EVENT... ...CITY LOCATION... ...LAT.LON...
..DATE... ....MAG.... ..COUNTY LOCATION..ST.. ...SOURCE....
0900 PM TSTM WND DMG ST. MARYS 41.43N 78.56W
08/07/2007 ELK PA EMERGENCY MNGR
1015 PM TSTM WND DMG 3 SW RENOVO 41.30N 77.79W
08/07/2007 CLINTON PA LAW ENFORCEMENT
TREES DOWN ALONG ROUTE 120 NEAR SHINTOWN.
1020 PM TSTM WND DMG 7 E MILLHEIM 40.89N 77.34W
08/07/2007 CENTRE PA LAW ENFORCEMENT
NUMEROUS TREES DOWN ACROSS ROUTE 45 IN THE VICINITY OF
1020 PM TSTM WND DMG 2 W LAURELTON CENTER 40.93N 77.24W
08/07/2007 UNION PA LAW ENFORCEMENT
TREES DOWN ALONG UNION/CENTRE COUNTY LINE.
1130 PM FLASH FLOOD BRADFORD 41.96N 78.64W
08/07/2007 MCKEAN PA EMERGENCY MNGR
SECTIONS OF ROUTE 219 AND ROUTE 770 CLOSED DUE TO
FLOODING. REPORTS OF SECONDARY ROADS FLOODED IN CITY OF
0200 AM TSTM WND DMG PATTON 40.63N 78.65W
08/08/2007 CAMBRIA PA EMERGENCY MNGR
SPORADIC REPORTS OF TREES DOWN ACROSS THE NORTHERN PART
OF THE COUNTY
2007 Weather Events/Features:
- Strong Winds crossed the region on Dec 23rd, causing damage in spots.
- Ice and Snow Storm of December 13th
- First Clipper of the Season, December 5th
- Snow-Sleet-Freezing Rain-Rain of December 2nd and 3rd
- Snow Arrives in Central Pennsylvania (Nov 17-18)
- 2007 Holm Award
- New Snowfall/Winter reporting criteria for SkyWarn Spotters!
- October 2007 Warmest October Ever at Williamsport and Harrisburg
- Arctic Sea Ice Below Normal
- October 2007 will be the hottest October ever!
- October's (Record) Hot Weather
- Severe Storms and Tornado of 26 Sept 2007.
- Severe Thunderstorms - August 30, 2007
- Severe Thunderstorms - August 25, 2007
- Large Hail Producing Storms in Lycoming County - August 17th
- EF1 Tornado in Eastern Centre County (Aug 7th)
- Thunderstorms produced flooding, hail and wind damage on Sunday Evening (July 29th)
- Pulse severe storms on Saturday (July 28th)
- A Brief Reprieve From The Dry Summer Weather (July 20th)
- How dry has it been? (Mid July)
- Hot Weather Arrives in Central Pennsylvania (July 10th)
- Heavy Rain and Hail around Harrisburg on July 5th
- Office view of the State College fireworks display
- Pulse Storms in Record Heat of June 27th, 2007
- Widespread Severe Weather Event, June 19th, 2007
- Severe Thunderstorms in Northeast Flow - Day 2 - June 13th, 2007
- Severe Thunderstorms in Northeast Flow - Day 1 - June 12th, 2007
- Severe Squall Line Event June 8th, 2007
- Severe (Hail) Storms of 27 May 2007.
- NWS Open House Severe Weather Event, 12 May 2007.
- Severe (Hail) Storms of 10 May 2007.
- Late Season Nor'Easter (16 March).
- The Valentine's Day Storm (13-14 February).
- Late Start to the Snow - Winter 2006-07.
Local Climate, Water & Weather Topics:
Forecasts, Current Hazards, Current Conditions, Water Resources, Radar, Satellite, Climate,
Weather Safety, Wireless/PDAs, Feature Articles,