|Local forecast by|
"City, ST" or zip code
|Large Hail Producing Storms in Lycoming County|
|A significant hailstorm moved through Lycoming, Northumberland, and Columbia counties on August 17th, 2007 producing hail stones as large as 1.75 inches in diameter in Muncy. Golfball to baseball sized hail fell during the afternoon as a severe thunderstorm moved southeast across southern Lycoming county toward Columbia county from about 12:30 pm until 2:00 pm.|
The storm was strong enough to produce rotation in the mid and upper levels of the atmosphere prompting a tornado warning for Lycoming county at 12:56 pm. Although there were some unconfirmed funnels reported by the public, an NWS State College survey team concluded there was no evidence of a tornado touching down.
In Muncy the storm's large hail shattered windows and damaged windshields. Strong straight-line winds also blew down large trees in Millville in northwest Columbia county disrupting power to about 800 PPL customers.
Below is a list of storm reports for this event.
NWUS51 KCTP 200226
PRELIMINARY LOCAL STORM REPORT...SUMMARY
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE STATE COLLEGE PA
1026 PM EDT SUN AUG 19 2007
..TIME... ...EVENT... ...CITY LOCATION... ...LAT.LON...
..DATE... ....MAG.... ..COUNTY LOCATION..ST.. ...SOURCE....
0100 PM HAIL 1 W WILLIAMSPORT 41.24N 77.04W
08/17/2007 M0.88 INCH LYCOMING PA TRAINED SPOTTER
NICKEL SIZED HAIL AND 40-50 MPH WINDS
0100 PM HAIL WILLIAMSPORT 41.24N 77.02W
08/17/2007 M1.00 INCH LYCOMING PA TRAINED SPOTTER
0104 PM HAIL LOYALSOCKVILLE 41.32N 76.92W
08/17/2007 E0.88 INCH LYCOMING PA PUBLIC
0108 PM HAIL MONTGOMERY 41.17N 76.88W
08/17/2007 E1.50 INCH LYCOMING PA TRAINED SPOTTER
0117 PM HAIL LANDISVILLE 40.09N 76.42W
08/17/2007 E0.88 INCH LANCASTER PA PUBLIC
0120 PM HAIL 1 N MUNCY 41.22N 76.79W
08/17/2007 M0.88 INCH LYCOMING PA PUBLIC
HAIL COVERS GROUND IN PENNSDALE.
0122 PM HAIL MUNCY 41.20N 76.79W
08/17/2007 E1.75 INCH LYCOMING PA PUBLIC
GOLFBALL TO BASEBALL SIZED HAIL RELAYED THROUGH STORM
0125 PM HAIL TURBOTVILLE 41.10N 76.77W
08/17/2007 E1.25 INCH NORTHUMBERLAND PA PUBLIC
0130 PM HAIL LANCASTER 40.04N 76.30W
08/17/2007 E0.88 INCH LANCASTER PA EMERGENCY MNGR
0130 PM HAIL 1 ENE EXCHANGE 41.12N 76.67W
08/17/2007 M1.50 INCH MONTOUR PA PUBLIC
HAIL MEASURED AT HOME ON THE MONTOUR SIDE OF THE COUNTY
LINE. HAIL HAS BEEN ON GROUND FOR OVER HALF HOUR BEFORE
0135 PM TSTM WND DMG LANCASTER 40.04N 76.30W
08/17/2007 LANCASTER PA EMERGENCY MNGR
TREES DOWN IN COUNTY PARK. ROCKFORD AND WILLIAMSON ROADS
0140 PM TSTM WND DMG 2 W MILLVILLE 41.12N 76.57W
08/17/2007 COLUMBIA PA EMERGENCY MNGR
MULTIPLE TREES AND WIRES DOWN ON ROD AND GUN CLUB ROAD.
0143 PM HAIL MILLVILLE 41.12N 76.53W
08/17/2007 M0.88 INCH COLUMBIA PA TRAINED SPOTTER
0200 PM TSTM WND DMG RINGTOWN 40.86N 76.24W
08/17/2007 SCHUYLKILL PA PUBLIC
ROOF BLOWN OFF SHED.
0205 PM HAIL MCADOO 40.90N 75.99W
08/17/2007 E1.75 INCH SCHUYLKILL PA LAW ENFORCEMENT
0216 PM HAIL BLOOMSBURG 41.00N 76.46W
08/17/2007 M1.00 INCH COLUMBIA PA PUBLIC
0235 PM HAIL MCADOO 40.90N 75.99W
08/17/2007 E1.75 INCH SCHUYLKILL PA LAW ENFORCEMENT
SECOND ROUND OF GOLFBALL SIZED HAIL AFTER A 15 TO 20
CHANGED SEVERAL EVENT TIMES BASED ON RADAR DATA. FINAL VERSION.
|Sterling, VA upper air sounding showing 1245 J/Kg of CAPE Friday morning|
|Surface analysis 1:00 pm showing low pressure and high dewpoints over the area|
|KCCX Radar reflectivity showing storm over Millville at 1:42 pm|
|KCCX Radar reflectivity showing storm over Muncy at 1:17 pm|
|KCCX Radar showing rotation, Tornado Vortex Signature, and forecast Storm Track at 12:56 pm|
|KCCX Storm Relative Velocity loop 12:39 to 1:55 pm|
|KCCX Radar Reflectivity loop from 12:35 to 1:51 pm|
|KCCX Vertical Integrated Liquid loop from 12:43 to 1:42 pm|
|Visible Satellite loop from 12:00 to 2:30 pm|
2007 Weather Events/Features:
- Strong Winds crossed the region on Dec 23rd, causing damage in spots.
- Ice and Snow Storm of December 13th
- First Clipper of the Season, December 5th
- Snow-Sleet-Freezing Rain-Rain of December 2nd and 3rd
- Snow Arrives in Central Pennsylvania (Nov 17-18)
- 2007 Holm Award
- New Snowfall/Winter reporting criteria for SkyWarn Spotters!
- October 2007 Warmest October Ever at Williamsport and Harrisburg
- Arctic Sea Ice Below Normal
- October 2007 will be the hottest October ever!
- October's (Record) Hot Weather
- Severe Storms and Tornado of 26 Sept 2007.
- Severe Thunderstorms - August 30, 2007
- Severe Thunderstorms - August 25, 2007
- Large Hail Producing Storms in Lycoming County - August 17th
- EF1 Tornado in Eastern Centre County (Aug 7th)
- Thunderstorms produced flooding, hail and wind damage on Sunday Evening (July 29th)
- Pulse severe storms on Saturday (July 28th)
- A Brief Reprieve From The Dry Summer Weather (July 20th)
- How dry has it been? (Mid July)
- Hot Weather Arrives in Central Pennsylvania (July 10th)
- Heavy Rain and Hail around Harrisburg on July 5th
- Office view of the State College fireworks display
- Pulse Storms in Record Heat of June 27th, 2007
- Widespread Severe Weather Event, June 19th, 2007
- Severe Thunderstorms in Northeast Flow - Day 2 - June 13th, 2007
- Severe Thunderstorms in Northeast Flow - Day 1 - June 12th, 2007
- Severe Squall Line Event June 8th, 2007
- Severe (Hail) Storms of 27 May 2007.
- NWS Open House Severe Weather Event, 12 May 2007.
- Severe (Hail) Storms of 10 May 2007.
- Late Season Nor'Easter (16 March).
- The Valentine's Day Storm (13-14 February).
- Late Start to the Snow - Winter 2006-07.
Local Climate, Water & Weather Topics:
Forecasts, Current Hazards, Current Conditions, Water Resources, Radar, Satellite, Climate,
Weather Safety, Wireless/PDAs, Feature Articles,