|Local forecast by|
"City, ST" or zip code
|Hail and Strong Winds with Severe Thunderstorms - Aug 30, 2007|
|Another round of severe weather hit Central Pennsylvania during the afternoon of August 30th, 2007 producing small hail and damaging winds across the area. Numerous trees and wires were brought down by thunderstorm winds across Clearfield and Huntingdon counties. In addition some storms produced nickel and pea-sized hail.|
The storms were caused by a cold front that was moving across the region lifting warm, unstable air ahead of it. A maximized area of instability just ahead of the front in Central Pennsylvania fueled the storms. Some of these storms produced outflow boundaries that interacted with the northeast-to-southwest oriented cold front causing storms to redevelop from northeast to southwest as the front sliced through the area.
Below is a listing of the storm reports for this event.
NWUS51 KCTP 311437
PRELIMINARY LOCAL STORM REPORT...SUMMARY
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE STATE COLLEGE PA
1037 AM EDT FRI AUG 31 2007
..TIME... ...EVENT... ...CITY LOCATION... ...LAT.LON...
..DATE... ....MAG.... ..COUNTY LOCATION..ST.. ...SOURCE....
0221 PM TSTM WND DMG 2 N KEENEYVILLE 41.89N 77.26W
08/30/2007 TIOGA PA EMERGENCY MNGR
TREE DOWN ACROSS CUMMINGS CREEK ROAD
0230 PM HAIL 4 NE DUBOIS 41.16N 78.70W
08/30/2007 E0.88 INCH CLEARFIELD PA BROADCAST MEDIA
NICKEL SIZE HAIL REPORTED IN SANDY TOWNSHIP NEAR TREASURE
0245 PM TSTM WND DMG 4 NE DUBOIS 41.16N 78.70W
08/30/2007 CLEARFIELD PA BROADCAST MEDIA
NUMEROUS TREES AND POWERLINES DOWN NEAR TREASURE LAKE IN
0250 PM HAIL 1 SE EMPORIUM 41.50N 78.22W
08/30/2007 E0.25 INCH CAMERON PA TRAINED SPOTTER
PEA SIZE HAIL ALONG ROUTE 120.
0315 PM HAIL 5 E CLEARFIELD 41.02N 78.34W
08/30/2007 E0.25 INCH CLEARFIELD PA NWS EMPLOYEE
PEA SIZE HAIL ALONG INTERSTATE 80 NEAR CLEARFIELD.
0320 PM TSTM WND DMG 3 NE DUBOIS 41.15N 78.71W
08/30/2007 CLEARFIELD PA EMERGENCY MNGR
NUMEROUS TREES DOWN AND FIVE HOMES DAMAGED IN SABULA.
0440 PM HAIL 4 W STATE COLLEGE 40.79N 77.93W
08/30/2007 E0.25 INCH CENTRE PA NWS EMPLOYEE
PEA SIZE HAIL IN STORMSTOWN.
0505 PM FLASH FLOOD 2 S BLOSSBURG 41.65N 77.07W
08/30/2007 TIOGA PA EMERGENCY MNGR
WATER COVERING THE NORTHBOUND LANE OF ROUTE 15 NEAR
0536 PM TSTM WND DMG WARRIORS MARK 40.70N 78.11W
08/30/2007 HUNTINGDON PA LAW ENFORCEMENT
0600 PM HAIL WILLIAMSPORT 41.24N 77.02W
08/30/2007 E0.25 INCH LYCOMING PA TRAINED SPOTTER
PEA SIZE HAIL ALONG WITH 35-40 MPH GUSTS. ESTIMATED ONE
INCH OF RAIN IN ONE HOUR IN WILLIAMSPORT.
|Storm Reports from the Storm Prediction Center|
|Surface analysis at 2:00 pm|
|Sterling, VA sounding 8:00 pm August 31|
|KCCX reflectivity and storm relative velocity 2:12 pm over Tioga county|
|KCCX reflectivity and storm relative velocity 2:32 pm over Clearfield county|
|KCCX reflectivity and storm relative velocity 3:18 pm over Clearfield county|
|CAPE surface analysis loop showing high values just ahead of the front|
|KCCX radar and velocity loop showing thunderstorm outflow boundaries interacting with surface front|
|Visible satellite loop and lightning plot during the event |
2007 Weather Events/Features:
- Strong Winds crossed the region on Dec 23rd, causing damage in spots.
- Ice and Snow Storm of December 13th
- First Clipper of the Season, December 5th
- Snow-Sleet-Freezing Rain-Rain of December 2nd and 3rd
- Snow Arrives in Central Pennsylvania (Nov 17-18)
- 2007 Holm Award
- New Snowfall/Winter reporting criteria for SkyWarn Spotters!
- October 2007 Warmest October Ever at Williamsport and Harrisburg
- Arctic Sea Ice Below Normal
- October 2007 will be the hottest October ever!
- October's (Record) Hot Weather
- Severe Storms and Tornado of 26 Sept 2007.
- Severe Thunderstorms - August 30, 2007
- Severe Thunderstorms - August 25, 2007
- Large Hail Producing Storms in Lycoming County - August 17th
- EF1 Tornado in Eastern Centre County (Aug 7th)
- Thunderstorms produced flooding, hail and wind damage on Sunday Evening (July 29th)
- Pulse severe storms on Saturday (July 28th)
- A Brief Reprieve From The Dry Summer Weather (July 20th)
- How dry has it been? (Mid July)
- Hot Weather Arrives in Central Pennsylvania (July 10th)
- Heavy Rain and Hail around Harrisburg on July 5th
- Office view of the State College fireworks display
- Pulse Storms in Record Heat of June 27th, 2007
- Widespread Severe Weather Event, June 19th, 2007
- Severe Thunderstorms in Northeast Flow - Day 2 - June 13th, 2007
- Severe Thunderstorms in Northeast Flow - Day 1 - June 12th, 2007
- Severe Squall Line Event June 8th, 2007
- Severe (Hail) Storms of 27 May 2007.
- NWS Open House Severe Weather Event, 12 May 2007.
- Severe (Hail) Storms of 10 May 2007.
- Late Season Nor'Easter (16 March).
- The Valentine's Day Storm (13-14 February).
- Late Start to the Snow - Winter 2006-07.
Local Climate, Water & Weather Topics:
Forecasts, Current Hazards, Current Conditions, Water Resources, Radar, Satellite, Climate,
Weather Safety, Wireless/PDAs, Feature Articles,