|Local forecast by|
"City, ST" or zip code
|Snow and Ice storm, December 2nd-3rd, 2007|
|Late Saturday night, and early Sunday morning, early on the 2nd of December, a light snowfall coated the Northern and Central mountains of Pennsylvania with generally 1-3 inches of snow. |
The snow mixed with sleet briefly Sunday morning before it tapered off to almost nothing for most of the daylight hours on Sunday. Then, late in the day on Sunday, a second part of the same storm system brought a significant amount of rain up over the region. Much of the area was still below freezing, so freezing rain ensued - rain freezing on contact with the ground and objects.
Around a quarter of an inch of ice accumulated Sunday evening over the Northern mountains as the rain came down onto cold power lines and trees. A few power outages were reported, but, the temperatures quickly warmed to above freezing - and turned the freezing rain over to plain rain Sunday night. This plain rain helped to melt away any ice accumulations through the night. So, by 7 am Monday morning, not much ice was left on the surfaces and trees.
See the maps below for reported accumulations:
|Snow and Ice Accumulations, Dec 2-3, 2007|
|2-day Snowfall, Co-Operative Observations, Dec 2-3, 2007|
|Snowfall Radar Animation, Dec 2, 2007|
|Rain/Freezing Rain Animation, Dec 2-3, 2007|
2007 Weather Events/Features:
- Strong Winds crossed the region on Dec 23rd, causing damage in spots.
- Ice and Snow Storm of December 13th
- First Clipper of the Season, December 5th
- Snow-Sleet-Freezing Rain-Rain of December 2nd and 3rd
- Snow Arrives in Central Pennsylvania (Nov 17-18)
- 2007 Holm Award
- New Snowfall/Winter reporting criteria for SkyWarn Spotters!
- October 2007 Warmest October Ever at Williamsport and Harrisburg
- Arctic Sea Ice Below Normal
- October 2007 will be the hottest October ever!
- October's (Record) Hot Weather
- Severe Storms and Tornado of 26 Sept 2007.
- Severe Thunderstorms - August 30, 2007
- Severe Thunderstorms - August 25, 2007
- Large Hail Producing Storms in Lycoming County - August 17th
- EF1 Tornado in Eastern Centre County (Aug 7th)
- Thunderstorms produced flooding, hail and wind damage on Sunday Evening (July 29th)
- Pulse severe storms on Saturday (July 28th)
- A Brief Reprieve From The Dry Summer Weather (July 20th)
- How dry has it been? (Mid July)
- Hot Weather Arrives in Central Pennsylvania (July 10th)
- Heavy Rain and Hail around Harrisburg on July 5th
- Office view of the State College fireworks display
- Pulse Storms in Record Heat of June 27th, 2007
- Widespread Severe Weather Event, June 19th, 2007
- Severe Thunderstorms in Northeast Flow - Day 2 - June 13th, 2007
- Severe Thunderstorms in Northeast Flow - Day 1 - June 12th, 2007
- Severe Squall Line Event June 8th, 2007
- Severe (Hail) Storms of 27 May 2007.
- NWS Open House Severe Weather Event, 12 May 2007.
- Severe (Hail) Storms of 10 May 2007.
- Late Season Nor'Easter (16 March).
- The Valentine's Day Storm (13-14 February).
- Late Start to the Snow - Winter 2006-07.
Local Climate, Water & Weather Topics:
Forecasts, Current Hazards, Current Conditions, Water Resources, Radar, Satellite, Climate,
Weather Safety, Wireless/PDAs, Feature Articles,