TABLE OF CONTENTS
The Water Cycle - Nature's Recycling System
Water and Conservation
- Every year, 80,000 cubic miles (330,000 km3) of water evaporates from the oceans.
- Every year, about 15,000 cubic miles (63,000 km3) of water evaporates from the Earth's land sources.
- About 95,000 cubic miles (400,000 km3) of water are moving between the Earth and sky at all times.
- Only about 24,000 cubic miles (1000,000 km3) of water actually get to the land as precipitation.
- Land precipitation averages 26 inches (660 mm) a year.
- Some places, like deserts, get less than an inch (25 mm) of water a year; while others, like tropical rain forests, may get more than 400 inches (10,000 mm) a year.
A special thanks to the United States Department of Agriculture, Natural Resources Conversation Services, for providing some of the images & content for this page.