Skip Navigation Linkswww.nws.noaa.gov 
NOAA logo - Click to go to the NOAA homepage National Weather Service Forecast Office   NWS logo - Click to go to the NWS homepage
Wilmington, OH banner image
 
 

Public Information Statement
Latest Versions  [Current][-1][-2][-3][-4][-5][-6][-7][-8][-9][-10][-11][-12][-13]



000
NOUS41 KILN 082134
PNSILN
INZ050-058-059-066-073>075-080-KYZ089>100-OHZ026-034-035-042>046-
051>056-060>065-070>074-077>082-088-090945-

PUBLIC INFORMATION STATEMENT
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE WILMINGTON OH
534 PM EDT TUE APR 8 2014

WHEN DOES THE LAST FREEZE OF THE SEASON NORMALLY OCCUR?

A TEMPERATURE OF 32 DEGREES FAHRENHEIT HAS OFFICIALLY BEEN RECORDED
AS LATE AS MAY 25 IN CINCINNATI...MAY 16 AT COLUMBUS AND MAY
21 AT DAYTON.  HOWEVER...ELEMENTS SUCH AS TOPOGRAPHY...URBAN OR
RURAL SETTING AND PLACEMENT OF THE RECORDING INSTRUMENT CAN CREATE
WIDE VARIATIONS IN TEMPERATURES ACROSS AN AREA.

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE TEMPERATURES ARE OFFICIALLY TAKEN AT AN
ELEVATION OF FIVE FEET ABOVE THE GROUND...BUT THE TEMPERATURE AT
GROUND LEVEL MAY BE COLDER.  ON TYPICAL SPRING NIGHTS WHEN FROST
OCCURS...THE TEMPERATURES AT THE FIVE FOOT LEVEL MAY READ 36 DEGREES
WHILE AT GROUND LEVEL IT IS ACTUALLY THE 32 DEGREES NEEDED TO FORM
FROST.

THE FOLLOWING REFERENCE TABLE WILL GIVE AN IDEA AS TO WHEN THE LAST
FREEZING TEMPERATURES MIGHT OCCUR...BASED ON AT LEAST 30 YEARS OF
CLIMATOLOGICAL DATA AT EACH OF THE LISTED LOCATIONS.

LOCATION       AVG DATE LAST    LAST 32F IN ONE   LAST 32F IN NINE
               32F IN SPRING    YEAR OUT OF TEN   YEARS OUT OF TEN
                               (10% PROBABILITY)  (90% PROBABILITY)
..IN SOUTHWEST OHIO

CINCINNATI         APR 13            MAR 30             APR 27
DAYTON             APR 22            APR 9              MAY 6
HILLSBORO          APR 17            APR 4              MAY 1
MILFORD            APR 25            APR 11             MAY 9
WILMINGTON         APR 25            APR 9              MAY 10
XENIA              APR 25            APR 11             MAY 9

..CENTRAL OHIO

CIRCLEVILLE        APR 23            APR 11             MAY 6
COLUMBUS           APR 24            APR 10             MAY 9
DELAWARE           APR 28            APR 16             MAY 11
LONDON             APR 29            APR 16             MAY 12
MARYSVILLE         APR 24            APR 13             MAY 6
NEWARK             MAY 2             APR 16             MAY 18
WASHINGTON C.H.    APR 23            APR 12             MAY 4

..WEST CENTRAL OHIO

BELLEFONTAINE      APR 29            APR 12             MAY 15
GREENVILLE         APR 27            APR 14             MAY 11
KENTON             APR 26            APR 10             MAY 12
SPRINGFIELD        APR 28            APR 13             MAY 13
URBANA             APR 25            APR 12             MAY 9

..SOUTH CENTRAL OHIO

PORTSMOUTH         APR 17            APR 5              APR 28
WAVERLY            MAY 3             APR 18             MAY 18

..IN KENTUCKY

CARROLLTON         APR 20            APR 6              MAY 4
COVINGTON          APR 20            APR 4              MAY 6
MAYSVILLE          APR 23            APR 8              MAY 7
WARSAW             APR 25            APR 11             MAY 9
WILLIAMSTOWN       APR 14            APR 2              APR 26


..IN INDIANA

RICHMOND           APR 26            APR 10             MAY 12
VEVAY              APR 19            APR 5              MAY 3


FROST/FREEZE HEADLINES WILL BEGIN ACROSS THE WILMINGTON, OHIO
FORECAST AREA IN A TWO TIER PROCESS BASED ON CLIMATOLOGY.  THE TRI-
STATE...NORTHEAST KENTUCKY AND SOUTH CENTRAL OHIO NORMALLY BEGINS
IN MID APRIL. THE MIAMI AND WHITEWATER VALLEYS...PORTIONS OF
CENTRAL AND WEST CENTRAL OHIO WILL BEGIN LATER IN APRIL. EXACT
START DATES WILL BE DETERMINED IN THE COMING DAYS BASED ON
VEGETATION STATUS AND EXPECTED WEATHER CONDITIONS. PLEASE VISIT
OUR WEB SITE AT WWW.ERH.NOAA.GOV/ILN/SPRINGFRZMAP.HTM FOR A
GRAPHICAL PRESENTATION OF WHEN FROST/FREEZE HEADLINES WILL BEGIN
FOR YOUR COUNTY.


$$











National Weather Service
Disclaimer Privacy Policy