PUBLIC INFORMATION STATEMENT
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE WILMINGTON OH
320 PM EDT MON APR 6 2009

WHEN DOES THE LAST FREEZE OF THE SEASON NORMALLY OCCUR?

A TEMPERATURE OF 32 DEGREES FAHRENHEIT HAS OFFICIALLY BEEN RECORDED
AS LATE AS MAY 25TH IN CINCINNATI...MAY 16TH AT COLUMBUS AND MAY
22ND AT DAYTON.  HOWEVER...ELEMENTS SUCH AS TOPOGRAPHY...URBAN OR
RURAL SETTING AND PLACEMENT OF THE RECORDING INSTRUMENT CAN CREATE
WIDE VARIATIONS IN TEMPERATURES ACROSS AN AREA.

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE TEMPERATURES ARE OFFICIALLY TAKEN AT AN
ELEVATION OF FIVE FEET ABOVE THE GROUND...BUT THE TEMPERATURE AT
GROUND LEVEL MAY BE COLDER.  ON TYPICAL SPRING NIGHTS WHEN FROST
OCCURS...THE TEMPERATURES AT THE FIVE FOOT LEVEL MAY READ 36 DEGREES
WHILE AT GROUND LEVEL IT IS ACTUALLY THE 32 DEGREES NEEDED TO FORM
FROST.

THE FOLLOWING REFERENCE TABLE WILL GIVE AN IDEA AS TO WHEN THE LAST
FREEZING TEMPERATURES MIGHT OCCUR...BASED ON AT LEAST 30 YEARS OF
CLIMATOLOGICAL DATA AT EACH OF THE LISTED LOCATIONS.

LOCATION       AVG DATE LAST    LAST 32F IN ONE   LAST 32F IN NINE
               32F IN SPRING    YEAR OUT OF TEN   YEARS OUT OF TEN
                               (10% PROBABILITY)  (90% PROBABILITY)
..IN SOUTHWEST OHIO

CINCINNATI         APR 21            APR 8              MAY 5
DAYTON             APR 24            APR 2              MAY 9
HAMILTON           APR 28            APR 14             MAY 11
HILLSBORO          APR 23            APR 9              MAY 7
MILFORD            APR 30            APR 17             MAY 18
WILMINGTON         MAY 2             APR 16             MAY 18
XENIA              APR 29            APR 15             MAY 12

..CENTRAL OHIO

CHILLICOTHE        APR 22            APR 9              MAY 5
CIRCLEVILLE        APR 30            APR 15             MAY 15
COLUMBUS           APR 30            APR 15             MAY 15
DELAWARE           MAY 3             APR 18             MAY 18
LANCASTER          MAY 3             APR 20             MAY 16
LONDON             MAY 2             APR 17             MAY 17
MARYSVILLE         MAY 2             APR 17             MAY 17
NEWARK             MAY 3             APR 18             MAY 19
WASHINGTON C.H.    APR 26            APR 11             MAY 10

..WEST CENTRAL OHIO

BELLEFONTAINE      MAY 3             APR 17             MAY 19
GREENVILLE         MAY 3             APR 18             MAY 18
KENTON             MAY 4             APR 20             MAY 18
SIDNEY             MAY 5             APR 17             MAY 24
SPRINGFIELD        APR 23            APR 8              MAY 9
URBANA             MAY 3             APR 18             MAY 18

..SOUTH CENTRAL OHIO

PORTSMOUTH         APR 14            APR 1              APR 26
WAVERLY            MAY 3             APR 18             MAY 22

..IN KENTUCKY

CARROLLTON         APR 21            APR 8              MAY 5
COVINGTON          APR 21            APR 10             MAY 6
CYNTHIANA          APR 25            APR 13             MAY 11
FALMOUTH           APR 23            APR 11             MAY 21
MAYSVILLE          APR 24            APR 2              MAY 9
WARSAW             APR 27            APR 7              MAY 9
WILLIAMSTOWN       APR 19            APR 6              MAY 5


..IN INDIANA

RICHMOND           MAY 1             APR 14             MAY 18
VERSAILLES         APR 28            APR 11             MAY 15
VEVAY              APR 23            APR 6              MAY 10


DUE TO ABOVE NORMAL TEMPERATURES IN MARCH...THE GROWING SEASON HAS
ALREADY BEGUN ACROSS PARTS OF THE REGION. AFTER CONSULTATION WITH
SEVERAL COUNTY AGRICULTURE EXTENSION OFFICES...IT APPEARS THAT A
HARD FREEZE COULD ADVERSELY AFFECT SOME FRUIT TREES ABOUT AS FAR
NORTH AS INTERSTATE 70. AS A RESULT...FROST/FREEZE HEADLINES HAVE
BEGUN ACROSS THE WILMINGTON, OHIO FORECAST AREA FOR AREAS ALONG AND
SOUTH OF INTERSTATE 70. WEST CENTRAL OHIO AND THE NORTHERN PORTIONS
OF CENTRAL OHIO WILL BEGIN NO LATER THAN MAY 1ST.

.PLEASE VISIT OUR WEB SITE AT WWW.ERH.NOAA.GOV/ILN/SPRINGFRZMAP.HTM
FOR A GRAPHICAL PRESENTATION OF WHEN FROST/FREEZE HEADLINES WILL
BEGIN FOR YOUR COUNTY.

$$

Spring frost/freeze program start dates
NWS Wilmington Ohio Spring Frost/Freeze Program Start Dates