Dept. of Commerce
Which of the following describes a severe thunderstorm?
- 1/2" hail, wind gusts to 50 mph and
- rainfall of over 3 inches in an hour and
numerous lightning strikes
- 3/4" hail and wind gusts of 60 mph
- the sound of a freight train
Between 1966 and 1995 most weather deaths occurred because
During winter, storms moving up the Ohio Valley often produce
mixed precipitation in the form of snow, sleet, freezing rain
and rain. Which of the following situations results in freezing
- Warm air near the ground, with cold air
- Uniform conditions throughout the atmosphere.
- A shallow layer of below-freezing air
near the ground, with warm, moist air aloft.
Weather for Kids - links to several weather education
Terms used by the National Weather Service