WFO Blacksburg - NOAA Weather Radio
Forecast Listening Areas.
This only affects the 7-day Forecast product.
Click on image for larger view!
On Jun 26 2010, the National Weather Service in Blacksburg,
Virginia added the Wytheville transmitter (WZ-2500).
The forecasts are broken down into following areas.
For the Roanoke transmitter:
- The Roanoke and Southern Shenandoah valleys, and the West
Central Highlands of Virginia, which will include the counties of Roanoke,
Botetourt, Rockbridge, Alleghany, and Craig, as well as the cities and towns of
Salem, Roanoke, Fincastle, New Castle, Lexington, Buena Vista, and
- The New River Valley of Virginia. The counties included
here will be Carroll, Floyd, Montgomery, Pulaski, Wythe, Bland, and Giles,
as well as the cities and towns of Blacksburg, Radford, Pearisburg, Galax, Floyd,
Wytheville and Pulaski.
- Southside Virginia and the Northern Piedmont of North
Carolina. This will include the Virginia counties of Halifax, Pittsylvania, Henry,
Franklin, and Patrick, and the Virginia cities and towns of Rocky Mount,
Martinsville, Danville, South Boston, and the area around Smith Mountain
lake. The broadcast area will also encompass portions of the North Carolina counties of
Rockingham and Caswell, including the cities of Eden, Reidsville, and
For the Lynchburg transmitter
- The Central Piedmont of Virginia, which will include the
counties of Eastern Amherst, Eastern Bedford, Campbell, and Appomattox, as
well as the cities and towns of Amherst, Bedford, Lynchburg, and Appomattox.
- The Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia. The counties included
here will Western Amherst and Western Bedford
counties, from Peaks of Otter, northeast across Pedlar
Dam, to Montebello.
For the West Jefferson transmitter
- The Northwest Mountains of North Carolina, and the Mountain
Empire of Virginia, which will include the counties Ashe, Alleghany,
Watauga, and Grayson, as well as the cities and towns of Boone, Blowing
Rock, Jefferson, Sparta, and Independence.
- The Northern Foothills of North Carolina. This area will
include Wilkes County, and the city of Wilkesboro.
For the Hinton transmitter
- The Greenbrier Valley, which includes the lower elevations
of Greenbrier, Pocahontas, and Monroe counties, and the cities of Lewisburg,
White Sulphur Springs, Alderson, Marlinton, and Union.
- The Southeast Mountains of West Virginia. The counties
included here will be Summers and Mercer, as well as the higher terrain of
Monroe and Greenbrier. This includes the cities and towns of Rupert,
Hinton, Princeton, and Bluefield.
For the Halifax/South Boston transmitter
- The Central Piedmont of Virginia, which includes Campbell, Charlotte, Pittsylvania, and Halifax counties, and the cities of Altavista, Keysville, Wylliesburg, and Nathalie.
- The Southside area of Virginia, into the northwest piedmont of North Carolina, which includes southeast portions of Pittsylvania, southern Halifax counties in Virginia, and Caswell county in North Carolina. This also includes the cities of Danville, South Boston, and Yanceyville.
For the Wytheville transmitter
- The New River Valley including Wytheville, Hicksville, Marion, Speedwell, and Pulaski.
- The Mountain Empire of Virginia including Willis, Galax, and Elk Creek.
- The Northern Foothills including Mount Airy and Woodville.