September 11, 2009 Conference Call Notes
Provided by: Steve Keighton, SOO - Blacksburg, VA (RNK)
Observational Data Resources and Field Project status: Doug shared the very exciting news that UNC-A, through a curriculum-based funding pool (NSF support?) will fund this upcoming year's field research project of student launches of radiosondes at the Perry Farm (Poga Mtn)! Doug has agreed to teach a course in the research process that will take advantage of this field project. The emphasis will be beyond just NWFS, but all terrain-influenced snow and winter precip events, and there will likely be enough equipment for year-round operations as weather events present themselves. For this year the Loran-based system will be borrowed from the Navy, but in the future a GPS-based system will be purchased.
The goal is to be ready by Nov 1, and sounding data will once again be made available via the same UNC-A web page, and coordination will be made to GSP, MRX, and RNK NWS offices by emails that have been provided to Doug. Decisions on whether to declare an IOP will be coordinated with Doug, Baker, and the three NWS offices (same as last year).
We are encouraging all those entities who are running a local mesoscale model and generating BUFR sounding output, to include the Baker Farm location to compare with the UNC-A soundings this coming year (if you are not already from previous years), and below are the location details:
Lat/Lon: 36.2525, -81.9133
Elev: 1021 m
This has been confirmed by Baker. Apparently, the elevation is not critical since the output BUFR file for the WRF will use the model elevation at that point. You can use any ID # and name, as along as it is unique. Many of us are already using "BKRF" for the name.
In any case, with the reality of a field project again this year, and the developing El Nino, things are looking good for an eventful year!
High Res Ensemble Project and Local model updates: Brian would ideally like to have as many contributors as possible sending their WRF output to RENCI in the next couple of weeks (motivation partly due to timing of NWA Meeting in Oct, and it would looks good if images show all members coming in).
BAMS article: Getting some good feedback, and appears to be helpful resource to show depth of collaboration when requesting funding for related projects. Steve may present some of the work-to-date to HPC forecasters via GoToMeeting later this fall (as requested by HPC after seeing the article).
Next call: Friday Oct 9 (10am) is the first choice, but if that's bad for a lot of folks then we'll try Oct 16.