Skip Navigation Links www.nws.noaa.gov 
NOAA logo - Click to go to the NOAA homepage National Weather Service Forecast Office   NWS logo - Click to go to the NWS homepage
Wilmington, Ohio

Local forecast by
"City, St" or zip code

Fall Frost/Freeze Information


Graphic Updated: October 26, 2013




FIRST FREEZE OF THE FALL SEASON...
WHEN DOES IT NORMALLY OCCUR?

A TEMPERATURE OF 32 DEGREES FAHRENHEIT HAS OFFICIALLY BEEN RECORDED
AS EARLY AS SEP 28TH AT CINCINNATI...SEP 21ST IN COLUMBUS AND DAYTON.
HOWEVER...ELEMENTS SUCH AS TOPOGRAPHY...URBAN AND RURAL SETTING AND
PLACEMENT OF RECORDING INSTRUMENT CAN CREATE WIDE VARIATIONS IN
TEMPERATURES ACROSS AN AREA.

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE TEMPERATURES ARE OFFICIALLY TAKEN AT AN ELEVATION OF FIVE FEET ABOVE THE GROUND...BUT THE TEMPERATURE AT GROUND LEVEL MAY BE COLDER. ON TYPICAL FALL NIGHTS WHEN FROST OCCURS...THE TEMPERATURE AT THE FIVE FOOT LEVEL MAY READ 36 DEGREES WHILE AT THE GROUND LEVEL IT IS ACTUALLY THE 32 DEGREES NEEDED TO FORM FROST.
THE FOLLOWING REFERENCE TABLE WILL GIVE AN IDEA AS TO WHEN THE FIRST FREEZING TEMPERATURES MIGHT OCCUR...BASED ON THE LATEST 30 YEARS OF CLIMATOLOGICAL DATA AVAILABLE AT EACH OF THE LISTED LOCATIONS. A GRAPHICAL PRESENTATION OF THE AVERAGE FIRST FREEZE DATE AND THE TERMINATION OF THE FROST/FREEZE HEADLINES FOR THE SEASON APPEARS BELOW.
LOCATION AVG DATE FIRST FIRST 32F IN ONE FIRST 32F IN NINE 32F IN FALL YEAR OUT OF TEN YEARS OUT OF TEN (10% PROBABILITY) (90% LIKELIHOOD) ..SOUTHWEST OHIO CINCINNATI OCT 23 OCT 9 NOV 6 DAYTON OCT 19 OCT 3 NOV 4 HILLSBORO OCT 24 OCT 7 NOV 9 MILFORD OCT 13 SEP 28 OCT 29 WILMINGTON OCT 13 SEP 28 OCT 27 XENIA OCT 11 SEP 26 OCT 27 ..CENTRAL OHIO CIRCLEVILLE OCT 19 OCT 2 NOV 4 COLUMBUS OCT 20 OCT 6 NOV 3 DELAWARE OCT 9 SEP 27 OCT 22 LONDON OCT 8 SEP 25 OCT 21 MARYSVILLE OCT 16 SEP 28 NOV 3 NEWARK OCT 11 SEP 27 OCT 26 WASHINGTON C.H. OCT 19 OCT 4 NOV 3 ..WEST CENTRAL OHIO BELLEFONTAINE OCT 11 SEP 27 OCT 25 GREENVILLE OCT 8 SEP 25 OCT 22 KENTON OCT 13 SEP 26 OCT 30 SPRINGFIELD OCT 10 SEP 29 OCT 20 URBANA OCT 11 SEP 25 OCT 28 ..SOUTH CENTRAL OHIO PORTSMOUTH OCT 17 SEP 28 NOV 4 WAVERLY OCT 9 SEP 25 NOV 9 ..KENTUCKY CARROLLTON OCT 20 OCT 8 NOV 1 COVINGTON OCT 17 OCT 5 OCT 30 MAYSVILLE OCT 20 OCT 7 NOV 3 WARSAW OCT 17 OCT 3 OCT 30 WILLIAMSTOWN OCT 21 OCT 6 NOV 4 ..INDIANA RICHMOND OCT 12 SEP 29 OCT 24 VEVAY OCT 24 OCT 9 NOV 8


Local Climate Water & Weather Topics:
Current Hazards, Current Conditions, Radar, Satellite, Climate, Weather Safety, Contact Us

National Weather Service
Wilmington Ohio Weather Forecast Office
1901 South State Route 134
Wilmington, OH 45177
Tel: (937) 383-0031
Contact Webmaster
Page last modified: October 28, 2013.
Disclaimer
Credits
Glossary
Privacy Policy
About Us
Career Opportunities