Skip Navigation Links www.nws.noaa.gov 
NOAA logo - Click to go to the NOAA homepage National Weather Service Forecast Office   NWS logo - Click to go to the NWS homepage
Wilmington, Ohio

Local forecast by
"City, St" or zip code

Fall Frost/Freeze Information


Graphic Updated: Tue 10/01/2013, 1147 AM EDT




When does the first freeze of the fall season normally occur?

A temperature of 32°F or colder has officially been recorded as early as September 28th at Cincinnati and September 21st at both Columus and Dayton. However, elements such as topography, urban vs. rural setting, and siting of a recording instrument can create wide variations in temperatures across a given area.

National Weather Service temperatures are officially recorded at an elevation of 5 feet above the ground, but the temperature at ground level may be colder. On typical fall nights when frost occurs, the temperature at the 5-foot level may read 36°, while at ground level it may actually be 32° and cold enough for frost to develop.

The following reference table will give an idea as to when the first freezing temperatures might occur in the fall, based on the latest 30 years of climatological data available at each of the listed locations. A graphical depiction of the average first freeze date and the end dates for fall frost/freeze headlines also appears below.

LOCATION        AVG DATE FIRST   FIRST 32F IN ONE  FIRST 32F IN NINE
                 32F IN FALL     YEAR OUT OF TEN   YEARS OUT OF TEN
                                (10% PROBABILITY)  (90% LIKELIHOOD)

..SOUTHWEST OHIO

CINCINNATI          OCT 23            OCT 9             NOV 6
DAYTON              OCT 19            OCT 3             NOV 4
HILLSBORO           OCT 24            OCT 7             NOV 9
MILFORD             OCT 13            SEP 28            OCT 29
WILMINGTON          OCT 13            SEP 28            OCT 27
XENIA               OCT 11            SEP 26            OCT 27

..CENTRAL OHIO

CIRCLEVILLE         OCT 19            OCT 2             NOV 4
COLUMBUS            OCT 20            OCT 6             NOV 3
DELAWARE            OCT 9             SEP 27            OCT 22
LONDON              OCT 8             SEP 25            OCT 21
MARYSVILLE          OCT 16            SEP 28            NOV 3
NEWARK              OCT 11            SEP 27            OCT 26
WASHINGTON C.H.     OCT 19            OCT 4             NOV 3

..WEST CENTRAL OHIO

BELLEFONTAINE       OCT 11            SEP 27            OCT 25
GREENVILLE          OCT 8             SEP 25            OCT 22
KENTON              OCT 13            SEP 26            OCT 30
SPRINGFIELD         OCT 10            SEP 29            OCT 20
URBANA              OCT 11            SEP 25            OCT 28

..SOUTH CENTRAL OHIO

PORTSMOUTH          OCT 17            SEP 28            NOV 4
WAVERLY             OCT 9             SEP 25            NOV 9

..KENTUCKY

CARROLLTON          OCT 20            OCT 8             NOV 1
COVINGTON           OCT 17            OCT 5             OCT 30
MAYSVILLE           OCT 20            OCT 7             NOV 3
WARSAW              OCT 17            OCT 3             OCT 30
WILLIAMSTOWN        OCT 21            OCT 6             NOV 4

..INDIANA

RICHMOND            OCT 12            SEP 29            OCT 24
VEVAY               OCT 24            OCT 9             NOV 8



Local Climate Water & Weather Topics:
Current Hazards, Current Conditions, Radar, Satellite, Climate, Weather Safety, Contact Us

National Weather Service
Wilmington Ohio Weather Forecast Office
1901 South State Route 134
Wilmington, OH 45177
Tel: (937) 383-0031
Contact Webmaster
Page last modified: October 9, 2012.
Disclaimer
Credits
Glossary
Privacy Policy
About Us
Career Opportunities