|Local forecast by|
"City, ST" or zip code
National Weather Service Raleigh, NC - Instructions for
Completing the COMET SkywarnTM Spotter Training
This free web-based SkywarnTM training class is available to the public, and is offered by the COMET MetED program. The NWS Raleigh is honoring this training and will include individuals who take this online training as part of its database of SkywarnTM spotters for central North Carolina.
If you are interested in completing the COMET SkywarnTM training to be included as a trained SkywarnTM Spotter for the NWS Raleigh, please complete the following steps. Keep in mind that these steps are relevant ONLY to the NWS Raleigh SkywarnTM program. Other NWS offices may have different requirements for completing the COMET training as it pertains to their SkywarnTM program.
Upon completion of these 5 steps, you will be included in the NWS Raleigh SkywarnTM Spotter Database. At this time, personalized spotter certificates and spotter ID numbers are not assigned, used, or distributed by the NWS Raleigh. This is something that we may consider doing in the future, and if so, we will contact you at the appropriate time. If you have any questions about these steps, don't hesitate to contact Nick Petro, NWS Raleigh Warning Coordination Meteorologist, by email at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Complete the COMET training available at: https://www.meted.ucar.edu/training_course.php?id=23. Both modules must be completed, including The Role of the SkywarnTM Spotter, and SkywarnTM Spotter Convective Basics. This training takes approximately 2 hours to complete.
- Upon completing the training in step 1 and passing the test, you will receive completion certificates from COMET. Be sure to save these, as you will need to email them to the NWS Raleigh in Step 5 below.
- Download and fill out the following NWS Raleigh SkywarnTM Registration form: RAH_SpotterRegistrationForm.pdf
- Download the following file: RAH_Spotter_Training_Handout.pdf then read it and keep it available for quick reference. It includes information pertaining to when, what, and how you should contact the NWS Raleigh to report severe weather. It also includes our spotter reporting hotline.
- Email your completion certificates from COMET (from step 2 above), and the NWS Raleigh SkywarnTM Registration Form (from step 3 above) to Nick Petro at: email@example.com.
Thank you for your interest in the SkywarnTM program!